In order to apply for an LCC grant, applicants must meet all eligibility and criteria requirements of the LCC Program.
For more detailed information, refer to the full LCC Program Regulations and Guidelines (PDF).
Amount Available for Granting in FY
(Information not yet available)
Applications for field trips are accepted. (Formerly known as PASS applications.)
LCC Program Guidelines (PDF)
The postmark deadline for applications is October 15
Lowell Cultural Council grants are open to individual artists, arts organizations, community organizations and municipal agencies. All projects funded by the Lowell Cultural Council must be based in Lowell and must benefit the citizens of Lowell through exhibits, performances, readings, demonstrations, or by other means. The Lowell Cultural Council prefers to fund local applicants who live or work in the city. As a general rule, the Lowell Cultural Council does not provide funding for operating support. 2016 LCC Funding Priority will go to projects that fit the descriptions listed below:
1. Projects that promote collaboration, ie: Festivals, Participatory Events, Innovative Projects, Mentoring Projects
2. Public Art projects, either permanent or temporary
3. Projects that celebrate Lowell's diverse cultural heritage
4. Projects aimed at or involving an underserved population, especially these target audiences: At-risk youth, Students K-12, and Neighborhoods
The Lowell Cultural Council grant process is governed by requirements and regulations established by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, failure to comply may jeopardize a grant application. The Lowell Cultural Council holds at least two public meetings each fall to establish funding priorities as well as the following 2016 Local Guidelines:
1. The grant activity must take place in Lowell.
2. Grant applications are limited to TWO grants per applicant. IMPORTANT: The "Applicant" is the individual or organization listed on the application who will be the recipient of the reimbursement funds. The Applicant's completed W9 form must be on file with the LCC.
3. Maximum grant funding awarded will be $3,000.
4. All sources of project funding should be listed on the budget.
5. Field Trip grant requests will use the standard grant application form.
6. No third party vendors are allowed to receive grant reimbursement. Only Applicants can receive reimbursement funds for projects.
COMPILING YOUR GRANT PACKET. Your grant application packet must be typed (no smaller than 10 pt.) and must contain the following:
1. ONE (1) signed original LCC Grant Application and ELEVEN (11) copies, for a total of TWELVE (12) Grant Applications.
2. ONE (1) original and ELEVEN (11) copies of all supporting paper documentation, including critical personnel resumes. Duplicate copies of slides, photo albums, videos, CD's, and DVD's are not necessary.
3. Please collate the Grant Application with the supporting documentation and create TWELVE (12) individual grant packets. Each individual packet must be stapled or paper-clipped.
All applications must be postmarked on or before the October 15th deadline. Applications may be hand delivered or sent to:
Lowell Cultural Council
50 Arcand Drive, 2nd Floor
Lowell, MA 01852
Application numbers are assigned on a random basis and are not dependent on delivery.
1. Is the Grant Applicant the person or entity that will be receiving the reimbursement funds? Only the Applicant will be able to receive reimbursement checks.
2. Does your budget (Expenses on Left and Income on Right) balance?
3. Have you included one (1) SIGNED original and ELEVEN (11) copies of your Grant Application (12 total)?
4. Have you included one (1) original and ELEVEN (11) copies of your supporting documentation, including the resumes of your key personnel (12 total)?
5. Have you postmarked (MAILED) your application by the deadline date? NOTE: Packages can be dropped off during normal business hours (Mon.-Fri. / 9am-5pm).
PLEASE NOTE: Take a few minutes to carefully review your application using the checklist above. Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding!
RECIEPT OF YOUR APPLICATION / INTERVIEW MEETINGS. You will receive notification of the receipt of your grant application packet along with an invitation to attend an OPTIONAL interview meeting with Lowell Cultural Council members. At this interview, the Council will ask questions about your application -- you will NOT be asked to make a presentation. Though attendance at the interview is not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that you or someone involved with your grant accept the invitation and answer any questions the Council might have on the project. The interviews are strictly question & answer sessions -- again, no presentations will be heard.
Each interview meeting is assigned on a first come, first served basis starting at 6PM. Once you arrive at the meeting place, you may sign up for a specific time slot between 6PM and 8PM. Each meeting will only take about 5 minutes -- once your meeting is finished, you may leave the room OR stay and listen to any or all of the following meetings. All interview meetings are open to the public! Interview meetings take place in November -- dates will be announced shortly.
PUBLIC LOWELL CULTURAL COUNCIL GRANT DELIBRATIONS. After the interview meetings, the Council will hold a public meeting to discuss applications and vote on those applications that will receive funding. The Council will determine the amount of funding each successful grant will receive.
There are FIVE major areas considered by Council members in evaluating each grant application: 1) quality of project, 2) community benefit, 3) budget and funding, 4) planning, and 5) leadership.
The criteria used to evaluate these areas include:
1. Quality of Project: Is it creative? Does it have a specific focus and is that focus well defined? Is it engaging? Is it collaborative? Will the project enhance the cultural life of the city?
2. Community Benefit: How well does the project serve the residents of Lowell? How wide an audience is served? Does the project reflect priorities developed from the community input meeting? Is the target audience an underserved population?
3. Budget and Funding Support: Does the budget balance? Does the budget follow guidelines? Is the budget appropriate and clear? Are there other sources of funding or is LCC the sole source of funding? Is the project budget specific? Has this project been funded previously by LCC? Should this project be part of the city budget?
4. Planning: Are there well defined goals / targets? Is this a single event or an on-going project? If an on-going project is there a culminating event, activity or product that can act as a benchmark for evaluation? Is it clear that project planning has already taken place? Is the public program portion of this project accessible to individuals with disabilities?
5. Leadership: Does the leadership / staff have experience? Do personnel qualifications match the project needs? Is there evidence of past success in executing a similar project?
PROCESSING YOUR GRANT REIMBURSEMENT. Please note that LCC grants are reimbursement-based. All grant applicants must submit TWO REIMBURSEMENT PACKETS to the Council containing the Reimbursement Request Form and documentation that the project occurred (invoices, receipts, cancelled checks, program books).
Please Note: NO THIRD PARTY VENDORS shall be reimbursed directly by the Council. Third party vendors should be paid directly by the applicant.
Once the Reimbursement Packet is received, it is reviewed, and then forwarded to the City for processing and payment. Please note that it can take up to SIXTY (60) days to process a reimbursement -- please plan accordingly!
Reimbursement packets may be hand delivered or sent to:
Lowell Cultural Council
50 Arcand Drive, 2nd Floor
Lowell, MA 01852
MASS CULTURAL COUNCIL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT GUIDELINES. Proof of credit acknowledgement MUST be included in all published materials, announcements, and websites that promote your grant funded project. These materials must then be included in your reimbursement packet (see "Important Financial Information" above). This acknowledgement is required by the Mass Cultural Council and failure to comply may jeopardize your reimbursement and/or future funding. Please be certain to include the MCC logo on all promotional materials and websites along with the following credit statement:
"This program is supported in part by a grant from the Lowell Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency."
Click here for downloadable MCC logos and complete details on LCC Credit & Acknowledgement.
For any questions on the grant application or reimbursement procedures, please contact Lowell Cultural Council Grants Administrator, Suzzanne Cromwell, at 978-674-4260 or firstname.lastname@example.org..