Follow the Mid-Cape Cultural Council on facebook
The deadline for submitting qualifications for new public art walk in Hyannis HyArts Cultural District. has passed. We have 8 submissions to review. We will announce results after May 11, 2016.
Hyannis HyArts Discovery Walk
We will map a trail around interactive artworks sited within Hyannis HyArts Cultural District. Visitors will discover the artworks by chance or by following clues to be found in assorted interpretive materials and/or phone apps. We are seeking artworks that invite interaction and spark imagination. Visitors, especially families with children, will be encouraged to walk in, over, under or through the artworks, sit on them, create sounds with them, move various parts to reveal images, objects or text, or touch them to experience different textures and generally to experience the sites where the artworks are placed from a fresh perspective. When walkers find the artworks, they will be asked to share photos of themselves with the artworks on social media.
Five locations within the Hyannis HyArts Cultural District have been identified for the artworks. The walk will extend between Pleasant St. Park, east of the Maritime Museum, and the Hyannis HyArts Campus at the corner of Pearl and South streets.
For map view, Click here
Locations for proposed artworks:
1-Pleasant Street Park, east of Cape Cod Maritime Museum
2-Aselton Park (near the harbor)
3-Walkway to Sea—close to Village Green
4-Landscaped area in front of Armory, South Street
5-HyArts Campus, corner of Pearl and South streets
Specific sites within these locations will be determined in concert with selected artists and the Town of Barnstable.
• April—Arts/Site Advisory committee reviews submissions
• May 11—Mid Cape Cultural Council, at its regular monthly public meeting, reviews committee’s recommendations, determines, and announces $1000 in total awards to selected artists
o Selected artists develop design concepts into shareable presentations.
o MCCC mounts “Adopt an Artwork” Fundraising Campaign.
• November 14—Design Proposals Due from Selected Artists
• November-December-- Exhibit of designs in Barnstable Town Hall and online. Presentation to Town Council.
• MCCC meets fundraising goal of $15,000-$25,000
• MCCC/TOB contracts with artists for fabrication and installation of artworks
• TOB/MCCC develops interpretive signage/maps
Spring/Summer 2018—Celebratory “unveiling” of artworks and new Hyannis HyArts Discovery Walk