The application process may vary by community because each Local Cultural Council is authorized to set local guidelines and priorities. It is important to read a council's local guidelines and priorities before applying. Continue reading for more general information about applying, and to access the LCC application forms.
New in FY17: Online Applications
Applicants complete their applications online and submit them directly to the LCC to whom they are applying through the online system by the October 15 deadline. In years when October 15 falls on a weekend or holiday, the statewide deadline is the Monday immediately following October 15. While all LCCs use the same basic application form, some may require supplemental materials from their applicants. These can be uploaded and attached to your online application. Before submitting an application, applicants should read the council's priorities for additional instructions. Council priorities can be found by typing the name of the LCC into the search box on this page and selecting the “Council Priorities” tab.
Unless a Local Cultural Council prohibits the practice, it may be possible to submit more than one application to an LCC. However, because the demand for LCC funds far exceeds the supply, applicants should first contact their LCC to discuss whether or not it makes sense to submit more than one application or to prioritize the applications.
If an applicant feels that a program will provide public benefit to more than one community, they may submit an application to more than one LCC.
Back to Top
- MCC announces LCC's state allocations.
- On September 1 the online application opens.
- On September 1 all councils have posted their local priorities to their council profiles. Applicants should visit the profile of the council to which they are applying to learn of any council priorities. This is also where a council would inform applicants that they require supplemental materials, such as a support letter, to be submitted with their online application.
- Applicants can complete their forms online and upload any required supplemental materials up until the October 15 deadline at 11:59:59 pm Eastern Time. In years when October 15 falls on a weekend or holiday, the statewide deadline is the Monday immediately following October 15.
- Between September 1 and the deadline, applicants will access the online system to complete and submit applications. A link to the application system can be found under the "Apply Now" tab for every council profile. Users will be prompted to create an account for the online application system. Once logged in, users can begin to complete their form online. Once the application is complete, it can be saved and submitted to the chosen council. Users will receive a confirmation email notifying them that their application has been submitted successfully. Applicants can still apply to more than one council. If an applicant wishes to apply to more than one council they have to complete and submit a new application for each council.
- Grant applications must be submitted to the LCC through the online system by the deadline, October 15 at 11:59:59 pm Eastern Time. In years when October 15 falls on a weekend or holiday, the statewide deadline is the Monday immediately following October 15.
- After the deadline, online submissions will be collated by the MCC for each LCC and delivered to the council in the form of a PDF panel book.
- Between November 1 and December 30 councils will hold voting meetings to make decisions on applications, send denial letters, and handle reconsiderations.
- By January 15, councils will have submitted their Annual Report to the MCC, and will begin to notify applicants.
- LCCs process reimbursement requests with their municipality. The time it takes LCCs and cities/towns to process reimbursements varies but can take 4-8 weeks.
- Grantees carry out their programs and acknowledge the funding they've received through the MCC/LCC.
Back to Top
All applicants should submit their applications through the online system. There may be some councils that accept paper applications. Check the council's priorities to learn if paper applications are accepted. If they are accepted, please use the following forms:
Standard Grant Application (Word) (PDF)
Back to Top
Glossary: You can preview the glossary before completing
an application. The application forms also include terms in
blue, underlined text, which you can click on for a definition
or more information.
Budgets: You can preview sample budgets before applying.
The application forms also include terms in blue, underlined
text, which you can click on for a definition or an example.
Tips for Completing the Application:
- The Word forms should be completed using Microsoft Word 1997 or newer. The PDF form should open in your internet browser, but can be saved and opened with Adobe Reader. If you do not have Word or Adobe Reader on your PC or Mac, you may consider going to your public library to complete the form.
- Type your answers into the shaded gray boxes on the form. When the box stops expanding you have reached the character limit for that field.
- To move through the form use the "Tab" key. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR "RETURN" KEY. Using your return key will break up the formatting and make it difficult to read and evaluate your application.
- To move through the budget sections use the "Tab" key. This will ensure that the form auto-calculates fields for you where it should.
- If you do not need to answer the supplemental questions for capital expenditures or scholarships in sections B or C of the application, please do not include sections B and C with your application when you mail it to your LCC.
- Remember to save a copy of the application locally onto your computer and to save frequently while you work so you don't lose anything if something goes wrong.
- Under "Projected Income" the "Amount Requested from this LCC" autofills based on what you entered at the top of the second page of the application under "Project Information." If that number does not appear automatically, go to the second page of the application, click on the amount and hit "Tab."
Back to Top